Joining an NFP Board should be more than a resume-building exercise. Unfortunately, that is the main motivation for many and people often forget about the extra time, money, and resources that come with the commitment of being a board member. But if you are not passionate about it, it can become overwhelming very quickly, so in this episode, I want to discuss the nine key roles that are consistent across all NFP Boards to help you better prepare yourself for what may be expected of you if you so choose to go down this road.
Listen in as I explain the importance of being passionate about your organization’s cause and being very clear about its vision or mission. You will learn why you must have a strategic plan in place, why good governance is critical for every non-profit organization, and the importance of proper financial management within your organization. Being on an NFP Board is a serious commitment, but it can be incredibly rewarding as long as you are properly prepared and have realistic expectations of your role and responsibilities.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- The nine key roles of an NFP board member.
- Why you must be clear on the vision and mission of the organization.
- The importance of having your values aligned with the organization’s.
- How to ensure proper financial management within your organization.
- Why you must work with management to set strategic direction for your organization.
- How to properly plan for being a board member.
Ideas Worth Sharing:“If you are going to join an NFP Board, you should be very clear as to why you are doing it and be willing to commit your time, expertise, and—in many cases—money to be a contributing member of the Board.” - @infoSandstone Click To Tweet “If you are going to be part of the Board, make an effort to contribute in a meaningful way.” - @infoSandstone Click To Tweet “In order for this to be successful, management also needs to be actively involved in setting the strategic direction and how to implement and operationalize that vision.” - @infoSandstone Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- The role of a not-for-profit board member| BDO Canada
- Institute of Corporate Directors
- Not for profit Certificate