Abygail and Ashleigh Montague are two of the three sisters who founded Blk Owned HAMONT, an open resource to find and support black-owned businesses in the Greater Hamilton, Ontario area. Their mission is to celebrate, showcase, explore, and support black-owned businesses by creating a sustainable and thriving black-owned economy.
In this episode, we’re diving into what prompted the launch of Blk Owned HAMONT and how it has grown to go above and beyond just promoting black-owned businesses. Listen in as Abygail and Ashleigh share how they have leveraged government grants and the Sheridan College EDGE Program to launch, scale, and optimize Blk Owned HAMONT, and what they see as the future of the organization.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- Why Blk Owned HAMONT was started.
- How they encourage businesses to join their list.
- What the business model looks like.
- The biggest challenges they have faced.
- How businesses have responded to Blk Owned HAMONT.
- What has surprised the sisters about starting this venture.
- How the Sheridan EDGE program helped them get the organization off the ground.
- How you can get involved in Blk Owned HAMONT.
Ideas Worth Sharing:“We wanted to find a way to show our support to black-owned business, and we decided to do that through purchasing power.” - Blk Owned HAMONT Click To Tweet “The businesses definitely see the value.” - Blk Owned HAMONT Click To Tweet “All vendors who have answered our feedback survey so far have had nothing but good things to say.” - Blk Owned HAMONT Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Blk Owned HAMONT: Website | Instagram | Facebook | Shop
- The Investment Readiness Program
- Sheridan EDGE program
- ICUBE UTM
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: